I’m currently doing a little happy dance!
I’ve been struggling to get Infoboxes to work on my Wiki – you know those side boxes on Wikipedia that give summarized information about a subject.
I followed the instructions here, but I kept getting a big
Lua error: Internal error: Error reading from pipe.
I spent ages exporting templates from Wikipedia, checking to make sure that my host met Scribunto‘s requirements, pulling my hair out et cetera, but still that red error haunted me!
Then I stumbled across this post on scribunto’s Talk page and decided to give it one more try. This is the process I went through:
- Download the Lua binaries – I used lua-5.1.5_Linux26g4_64_bin.tar.gz
- Extract the files and upload them to the extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/binaries/lua5_1_5_linux_64_generic directory on the server
- Rename the original “Lua” file to “Lua-orig” then rename the new “lua5.1” file to “lua“
- Change the permissions on the newly renamed Lua file to 755
- Go to a page with the offending error and click the “History” link
- Replace the “history” at the end of the URL to “purge” then hit enter
- And …
I hope this helps someone and prevents a little bit of hair pullage